Between 3-12 February, Albania will be celebrating a Week Against Discrimination, organised by the Commissioner for Protection of Discrimination in Albania, with the support of the European Union and the Council of Europe. It will take place during the 10th anniversary of the entering into force of the Law on Protection from Discrimination.
The Week Against Discrimination will comprise of a number of events taking place, with the aim of informing and raising awareness among different communities, audiences, central and local authorities, private entities, media, academia and NGOs. The events will promote the principles of non-discrimination, equality and good governance with a focus on combating hate speech and discrimination against Roma communities.
On February 4, in addition to the activities organized in collaboration with the Commissioner for Protection from Discrimination, the Open Mind Spectrum Albania (OMSA), in cooperation with the Ministry of Health and Social Protection and with the support of the European Union and Council of Europe joint Action “Promotion of Diversity and Equality in Albania” will organise the Launching Event of the LGBTI Civic Engagement Program “Politics and Representation for the Advancement of the LGBTI Community Rights in Albania” at the Center for Openness and Dialogue – Prime Minister Office.
The plan of activities of the “Week Against Discrimination”:
- 3 February 2020 – Tirana: A photography exhibition will be organized in the Commissioner for Protection from Discrimination premises in collaboration with LGBTI NGOs’, human rights activists and partners in the field.
- 3 February 2020 – Elbasan: Organized by the CPD with Inter-Religious Centres in Albania to promote tolerance between religions and to define how this instrument may be adopted toward all communities.
- 4 February 2020 – Tirana: Theatrical performances presented by people with disabilities will be organized at “ArTurbina” Theatre in Tirana with the presence of the renowned Albanian artist, Mr Mirush Kabashi.
- 5 February 2020 – Korça: Several activities will be held in Korca targeting Roma and Egyptian minorities. The events will include a round table focused on addressing pivotal cases of discrimination and practical examples of how to empower and support these communities. A painting exhibition on “Re-Conceptualizing Diversity” with the students of the Artistic School of Korca and a Handicraft Corner will be introduced to the public, supported by the joint EU/CoE “ROMACTED: Promoting good governance and Roma empowerment at a local level” Programme”.
- 6 February 2020 – Vlora: A public debate on Hate Speech will be held at the University of Vlora with the participation of central and local authorities, NGOs, international organisations, academia and media (supported by the action on ‘’Promotion of Diversity and Equality in Albania under the EU/CoE ‘’Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey’’) .
- 6 February 2020 – Vlora: An event dedicated to Roma community will be organised under the joint EU/CoE “ROMACTED: Promoting good governance and Roma empowerment at local level”’ Programme at “Laberia” Palace of Culture; launching of the “Empowering the Roma Community by increasing access to labour market, training programmes and promotion of professional skills” small grant local project.
- 7 February 2020 – Shkodra: A public activity entitled “Women in focus and their rights. Cases from Women in isolated families.” will be held in Shkodra with the participation of civil society organizations in the field of gender equality, which will share concrete cases and experiences in promoting women’s rights.
- 12 February 2020 – Tirana: The closing event under the “Week against Discrimination” will be held in the Parliament of Albania, where the Commissioner for the Protection of Discrimination will deliver a presentation of the work performed in the last decade by the institution to representatives of public institutions, head of international organisations, NGOs, Embassies and media.